My “Not-So Secret” Best Holiday Recipe for a Bourbon Ham Fig-Date-Ginger Glaze
Many people have seen or tasted my holiday ham with my Fig Date Ginger Shallot Bourbon Reduction glaze. They have been asking and so here’s my “recipe”. I use the term recipe very loosely, as no measuring cups are ever soiled in the process So I’m guessing here what the measurements might be. Play with it and let me know how it turns out.
Preparing The Ham Glaze
In a med-leg Mixing bowl combine and cover for 4 hours to overnight
- ½ cup of pitted and chopped fresh dates
- ½ cup of chopped dried fig. Remove stem ends
- ¼ cup minced fresh ginger
- 1 large minced shallot
- Bourbon. 1/3 -1/2 bottle
- 1-3/4 cups Brown sugar
- Optional spices – nutmeg or allspice , cloves, cinnamon
Making the Glaze
When you start the ham, transfer mixture above into a medium pot
- Add 2-3 cups of water
- Bring to a boil, reduce cover and simmer.
- Add water if it reduces and becomes too thick.
- Let cool.
Treating and Finishing the Ham
With 30 minutes remaining on the ham
- Remove ham, uncover and let cool for 10 minutes
- Cover / glaze
- Return the ham to the oven, uncovered for the last 30 minutes.
- When the ham is ready, broil on low for 3 to 5 minutes to caramelize the glaze
Share and Enjoy with Friends and Family
Let me know what you think or how you tweak the recipe.